2/9 3-5PM IN DANBURY OR
2/16 1-3PM IN ORANGE
Hello Orthodox Youth Mission Team Members,
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!
At our next training session we will be sending out our Stock Sales and going over some basic training material for our ASP trip this summer. A few notes about stock sales:
- Stock Sales is our biggest fundraiser for this project.
- Everyone is expected to participate (as a reminder, in the Covenant you sign in to participate on the mission team you agree to sell 50 shares of stock (which amounts to $500) to help defer the costs of the mission trip.
- The volunteer fee that youth pay goes in total to ASP. It does not cover transportation, hotel and travel expenses and training expenses.
- If participating in the stock sales is an issue for you or your family, we will be looking for you to raise the funds that would have come from stock in another way. We do not want to see any $0 stock numbers for any youth team members.
- Another way to help sell stock is to participate in your parish fellowship sales.
For new members, we offer “mock stock” shares for $10 each to friends and family as a way of “investing” in our youth. In return, “investors” get to follow our progress and are invited to a thank you presentation when we return from Appalachia. For the training we ask that each youth member (family) bring pre-printed address labels to the meeting for people you will send stock packets to. We suggest using your Christmas card list. If this is your first time, you will be surprised at the number of people even beyond the church who are happy to see youth involved in giving of themselves to others and are pleased to support this effort.
We will provide envelopes, stamps and all materials.
Training #2 will take place in Danbury on Sunday, Feb. 9th from 3-5 p.m. (followed by a brief adult leader meeting). It will take place in Orange on Sunday, Feb. 16thfrom 1-3 p.m. If you are unable to make either of these training sessions, please let Susan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Shaun (email@example.com) know asap. Please also bring $5 for refreshments.
Last but not least, the final payment of $175 for volunteer fees is due at this meeting.
Any questions, please contact me.
Hello Returning and New OYMT Members in CT/NY,
Glory to Jesus Christ!
We hope you are all enjoyed a blessed Thanksgiving with your families and friends!
On Sunday, Dec. 8 we will be preparing our holiday fundraiser—apple pies—at Holy Trinity in Danbury from 3-6 p.m. Please make every effort to attend and help kick off our fundraising for our 2020 summer ASP trip. Parents: we will have a holiday shopping opportunity for you up at the rectory while the youth are making pies. Pani Bethany Mihaly will offer a Holiday Open House with Mary Kay gifts for women, men, teens, teachers and everyone on your Christmas gift list. Best of all, 30% of the proceeds will go right back to OYMT. Festive refreshments will be served.
If you haven’t already done so, please complete the 3 forms below to be registered for this year’s trip. We have several returning teams from MD, TX, AL, FL and new teams from CA and other places so spots are filling quickly. We don’t want anyone to miss out. Please bring a deposit of $175 to the fundraising session and $5 for dinner. If you will not be there, please mail as soon as possible to Holy Trinity.
Finally, please put Sunday, Jan. 12 on your calendars now. That will be the date of our first training session which will take place at St. Barbara in Orange from 3-5 p.m. Adult leaders will stay for a meeting from 5:00-5:30 p.m.A schedule for the rest of the trainings for Danbury/Bridgeport is attached here. New this year: a full schedule of trainings will also be offered at St. Barbara in Orange. Stay tuned for dates and times.
In Christ, Susan
P.S. Please forward to new or prospective members whose emails we may not have yet!
Hello Prospective Orthodox Youth Mission Team 2020 Members in CT/NY, (expansion teams will hear from their team leaders soon)
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!
It’s time to sign up for next year’s youth mission project. Our mission trip, led by Fr. Luke Mihaly, will again be with Appalachian Service Project (ASP). The dates for the mission trip will be July 11—19, 2020. We will have an all Orthodox center.
Exciting news! We have managed finally to get our forms digitized. That means you can fill them out and sign online and copies will be returned to us. You’ll also notice that we’ve reduced the total number of forms that need to be filled out. Below are links to the 3 forms all team members (adult leaders and youth) need to fill out to register:
A few notes:
- You’ll see that the registration form is the one ASP requires us to fill out and have notarized. Since the medical information we need for the year is on that form, we are asking each participant to fill it out now—YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET IT NOTARIZED AT THIS TIME! You also do not need to send in your insurance card. You will see that the fields for the notary are not required. At the end of the year we will print out your completed forms and you will be able to update if necessary before getting notarized.
- For the Youth Protection Policy (YPP) and the Covenant if you are 18+ you will have to sign in both the 18+ line and the parent line—both fields are mandatory so that we don’t miss parent signatures.
- Note that we are using an electronic signature program. For youth under 18, both parent and child will need to sign the same form. You will both have to create a signature as directed in the document.
- If you have more than one child participating in OYMT this year, you will need to fill out separate forms for each child. Simply click on the link again and you will get a fresh form.
In order to be registered for the team and have a spot reserved for you, you need to complete all 3 forms and submit your non-refundable deposit of $175 by Sunday Dec. 8th. (Note: ASP has raised their volunteer fee to $350 this year. Second payment of $175 will be due Feb 9th.) This year, you may also pay your volunteer fees via the PayPal link on the oymt.info website (click the Donate button on the left). Please put “OYMT Volunteer Fee” in the notes section. If you wish to pay by check, please make checks out to Holy Trinity Orthodox Church and mail to OYMT, 74 Joes Hill Rd., Danbury, CT 06811 or bring with you to the holiday fundraiser meeting Dec. 8th. If you need financial assistance please let us know.
Dec. 8th will be the date of our first get together to prepare our Holiday Fundraiser. We will meet at Holy Trinity in Danbury from 3-6 p.m.
Parents: there will be a Christmas shopping opportunity available at the rectory during this meeting—Pani Bethany Mihaly will again be offering a Mary Kay Holiday Sale as a fundraiser for the mission team. Please enjoy browsing through beautifully wrapped gifts or custom design you own and pick up some presents for special people on your list or treat yourself!
Please feel free to forward this email to anyone who is interested in joining our team this year. As always, if there are any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call me at 203-947-7405.
This will be OYMT’s 10th year of youth mission work and we look forward to sharing this blessed and fruitful spiritual opportunity with veteran and new team members!
In Christ, Susan Sulich
Orthodox Youth Mission Team